August 19, 2009
I hope everyone has had a fine summer. I am looking forward to starting up on September 1st and meeting many new students as well as seeing the old ones once again! This is the first year that 7th grade students will be joining the orchestra from Winnequah, so it will be an interesting time as the 7th grade orchestra gets to know each other.
Here are a few tips for students and parents as we start the new year...
Participating in orchestra is a very rewarding experience, but it also takes a lot of hard work! Please remember that you are an important member of our orchestra TEAM, and always strive to do your best.
- Start the year off with a fresh outlook and attitude!
- Make sure your instrument is in good working order
- Check to make sure you have all your instrument accessories (rosin, soft cloth, shoulder pad (violin/viola), rock-stop (cello/bass), music stand. A metronome and tuner are also wonderful accessories to own.
- Mark all of the required performance dates on your family's calendar.
- Set up a practice routine. Pick a daily time and place and make it a habit!
- Keep a pencil handy and bring it to class.
- Do your best as often as you can in class everyday!
Participation in orchestra takes a significant commitment from the parent, as well as the student. Students cannot succeed without help and encouragement from their family. Your involvement is crucial to the success of the MGSD orchestra program!
- Read through the Orchestra Handbook with your child at the beginning of the year and send back the concert date slip with your signature.
- With your child, mark all performance dates carefully on your calendar (for the entire year!)
- Make sure your child's instrument is in good working order and help them care for their instrument throughout the year (new strings, bow rehair, necessary repairs)
- Check to make sure your student has all the necessary supplies for class.
- Make sure your child has the appropriate concert dress for performances (see handbook for details.)
- Do your best to attend every concert to see your child's amazing progress!
- Help your child set up a daily practice routine and remind them when necessary.
- Communicate with Ms. McCarty regarding any difficulties or concerns about anything.
- Enjoy your child's progress in this wonderfully rewarding activity.